Hello and a very merry welcome to all you newcomers hailing from Jen's place! And to all you oldcomers: your welcome mat is still there but just a little bit less merry. You understand.
I'll cut right to the takes ...
1. Many days before the kids go down for their naps and Julia has indulged in eight too many goblets of whine and Sebastian has consumed far too many bowls of toilet I vow to myself and to Simon if he is free and lucky enough to talk to his docile spouse at that particular moment that I WILL LEAVE THE HOUSE ALONE TONIGHT. And then I never ever do only because I'm able to talk myself down from the crazy during naps. I'm happy to talk to an adult by the time Simon gets home and you know ... dinner, walk, bath, wall stare, bed, up to check on Julia's imaginary booboo, back to bed, up to rock Sebastian out of his shark teeth cutting tantrum, back to bed, up to tell Julia that if she wakes up one more time ....... those things all get in the way. But tonight? I did. I loaded the kids up on pumpkin cake, left them in horrible overly sugared moods and in dire need of serious (as opposed to those not so serious) baths. Simon, I'm sorry, please forgive me I know exactly what I did, and thank you. I just know I'll be the picture of peaceful and tranquil mother all day tomorrow. No harried phone calls. Almost promise.
2. I'll be 22 weeks along tomorrow and had an ultrasound earlier this week.
The tech said that she, "DEFINITELY could tell the gender" which would of course lead suspicious parties to believe that it's a boy but I am 98% convinced it is a girl. I was also quite certain that Sebastian was a girl. So, we'll see.
3. I had one of those fleeting "I've got everything under control! Why do I ever complain about anything? I'm so silly!" moments earlier this week. I loaded the kids into the cart at Costco and made it through the store relatively quickly with zero meltdowns and marched triumphantly outside to the car to find both sliding van doors left very much ajar by a one Mrs. Hasittogether. Luckily, the suburban parking lot thieves in the market for fruit snack wrappers and matching car seats smelling of delicious toddler weren't on the premises at the time and our vessel was left unscathed.
4. I'm at a coffee shop and there are two girls(nursing students?) talking about the proper procedures when catheterizing a male patient. It's urethra a little bit bladder distracting.
5. Julia is going to turn the big t-w-o next week ...
6. Did you nod off? I've got just the smelling salts for you ... Ashley never disappoints and I will worship her knack for making me laugh (from a safe distance) for all eternity.
7. A big thanks and an e-hug held a little bit too long out to Jen for letting me guest host this week's Quick Takes. I know I'm not alone in saying that I CANNOT WAIT to watch her show's pilot. I'm going to go all out when it airs ... a new popcorn Pinterest recipe, a little swallow of sparkling Moscato, and some restraint not to email her about all 58 of my absolute favorite moments. It'll be great.