Or more appropriately, "sort of healthy food for really, really lazy people"
And blah blah blah not a food blogger not a dietician not a nutritionist not a health care expert blah blah
(but this! is one of my favorite food blogs ever)
I'm definitely an aspiring food photographer though. Just vate.
We don't care what you eat, Grace. Really. I know, I know, I know. I do. I hope I've made it clear by now that I'm not a culinary anything but a failure and I won't be tricking my kids into eating vegetables by way of a cucumber slushie. I just thought that maybe you'd want to see some snacky things that we've been eating lately. Maybe not but whatever.
Really short eating history ... several years ago I came back from a semester in Austria quite a few pounds heavier than I'd left. Like ... I weighed the same as I did when I was 9 months pregnant with Julia kind of heavier. My bff+e (I link to her instagram because her bomb blog is private and I hate it) went on hardcore Atkins and started running and lost a lot of weight. It was great. Austria weight gone, Freshman 15 gone, etc. But then I went back to school in Ohio and was good for about three seconds before I got reacquainted with the soft serve in the cafeteria and .. whatever. Everyone weighed a little more in college. Who cares. I enjoyed a fine glass or three of boxed wine back in the collegiate days and it was fun.
After I graduated from college I found a happy medium with good fats and fewer carbs (think South Beach diety sort of, I guess) and loosely stick to that now. Do I not eat french fries? Unless I'm being a martyr and gave them up for lent (yes, I am 8 years of age) - no! I can control what I eat at home (unless I buy those stupid chocolate covered pretzels that they sampled at Costco for 15 weeks straight until I caved) and sort of when we travel but if I get all weird and strict then I tend to go crazy and eat all bad food for days on end because I'm starved for sugar and flour.
HOW do I get on these tangents and WHY do I make you suffer through them? Almost done.
So now I try not to eat pasta and bread (we had spaghetti two nights ago so ... ) too often but amn't a big Atkins freak or anything. I do notice that if I load up on the starch I feel sluggish and my mood is bad bad bad, and I get a headache so ... it's better just to be as proteiny as possible. Also! The low carb tortillas at the regular grocery store are really good and even when I run out of regulars for Simon he can't tell the difference when I give him the "gross" kind. Don't tell him.
I can't keep green produce alive and not slimey to save my life ... blame the kids, blame Simon's schedule, blame my lazyass bottom, blame it all but it's a fact right now. Not going to change or get more organized or meal planny because ... reasons listed above.
It's hard to strike a good balance with taste + still healthy because I like my sweet and I like my salty and even if I'm technically "full" but my meal didn't have a lot of taste ... I'll still be reaching for a handful of semi-sweets.
Okay .. my original point!
[important: does someone want to give me basic graphic design lessons because ... see above.]
[saddest food lineup eva]
1. Greek Yogurt + Chia Seeds: I've talked all about the power of the Chia in lots of other posts but I still love the stuff. The kids don't notice that it's in their poisonous Light 'n Fit Greek Yogurt (I KNOW there are much healthier yogurt options but ... I like this stuff and Costco sells it). Maybe it's my imagination but having Chia in the morning seems to help stave off the 3pm sugar shakes and wants and needs. I was having a tough time getting rid of the last few pounds after Sebastian and Theo's pregnancies and the seeds helped - or at least that's what I told myself.
2. Brussel Sprouts + Dates: Cut sprouts in half and put them in a pan with some oil (I use coconut even though I think Simon hates it ... yoops) until tenderish. Then I cut up some dates and sprinkle some sea salt on and snack on, snacker.
3. Fried Egg + Formerly Frozen Vegetables: I think eggs are good and do not like eating just the whites so I don't. I found a huge bag of stir fry veggies at Costco but I hate the mushrooms and water chestnuts (YICK) so I just use what I like with some sea salt and coconut oil in a pan on the stove and here we are.
4. Chocolate Avocado Smoothie/Faux Frosty: If you scroll through an Instagram feed without seeing a smoothie or a recipe for a smoothie these days ... you should probably refresh yo feed because they be everywhere. Rachel told me about how her Vitamix could make Frosty type things with avocados so I tried with my regular blender the other night (and I didn't have any bananas so this picture is moot and ironic) and the kids loved it and I loved it too.
5. Sebastian is awake so I'm out of time: But if you have any quick and easy healthyish snacks ....... I'm all pupils.
One of those posts that wasn't even a great idea to begin with and now I'm like ..... so why did you run with it?! A conundrum for the masses.